Wednesday, 16 December 2009

Moving Forward

Well, it might take a while for things to happen, but when they do they REALLY get going!

Had my CT scan appointment last Thursday. Think it was one of the most uneventful appointments I've ever had anywhere in the hospital. I arrived 15 mins early and had barely been in my seat 2 minutes when I was taken through to have the cannula inserted. One more final drink of juice (following 2 pints of the horrible aniseed flavoured Gastrografin) and I was ready for the scan. Even the sensation of wee-ing when the injection went through wasn't so bad this time - maybe just because I knew what to expect. Back through to sit for 10 minutes to make sure I wasn't having any reactions and I was ready to go. All done and dusted within half an hour. Must be a record.

I phoned the Colorectal Nurse Specialist (again) on Friday to find out if there was any news on a date for surgery, but she said the surgeon was still looking to try to get extra theatre time. She promised to check again on Monday and phone me with any news.

9.50 on Monday morning and the phone rings - it's Laura, the surgeon's secretary to find out if I would be available to come into hospital on Wednesday with a view to having my operation on Thursday THIS WEEK!!! She said they'd managed to move some other appointments around in order to fit me in. Fantastic news! I've been so sore over the last couple of weeks, it's had me reduced to tears on more than one occasion and I'm lucky if I get a couple of hours sleep a night. I'd been beginning to think it wouldn't happen before Christmas and didn't know how I'd cope if I had to wait till the New Year. I know there's worse to come before things get better, but at least we're moving forward again now.

Have had a frantic couple of days writing Christmas cards, wrapping presents and arranging deliveries. Some stuff still hasn't arrived, but I've done as much as I can now and will be heading off in a couple of hours. It means I'll be in hospital over Christmas, but this will hopefully be the best Christmas present I've ever had and there'll be plenty more to celebrate at home.

I've been in touch with Drew, who's had the same operation as I'm having (although I think he may have had more of his bowel removed) and who's blogged about his experiences with much more humour than they deserve on the Macmillan website. A word of warning though - if you do go and read all about "Roland's Revenge", beware the "Hotspot One" and "Hotspot Two" posts, which are photos of the wounds on his bum (where the skin was removed for his skin graft) and are quite gruesome! I found it really helpful to know what might be ahead though and Drew has answered some of the questions I had and made it all a lot less scary. If he can come out smiling after some of the things he's been through, then surely I can do the same!

D has promised to try to keep the blog updated with my progress until I'm able to myself again.

Keep your fingers crossed for me and have a great Christmas wherever you are.

2 comments:

Rosi said...

I will accompany you in my thoughts. Wishing you all the best!
Rosi

Linda K said...

Hi Ang, Had a great weekend. Thanks . Linda.